Are you tired of using the same feminine hygiene products on your periods? Then it’s time to switch to a revolutionary, comfortable, rash and leak free product, ‘Menstrual Cup’.
Menstrual cup is a reusable feminine hygiene product. It is a small, funnel shaped, flexible cup made out of rubber silicone that is inserted in the vagina to collect period fluid, the cup seals against the vaginal walls below the cervix due to suction. These cups can hold more blood and they are an eco-friendly alternative to tampons. Unlike tampons and pads, menstrual cups collect the fluid rather than absorbing it. These cups are an investment as can be reused for more than 7 years. Yes the initial cost of a menstrual cup is high, but it is a long term product, and causes no reactions or rash or environmental pollution. For instance, approximately 91% of women in the menstrual cup group said that they will continue to use the cup and recommend it to others, according to an investigation in Canada. The amazing feature of a menstrual cup is that you can wear it for up to 12 hours without worrying about leaks, depending on your flow.
Advantages of Menstrual Cups are:
- Free from odor, since the fluid doesn’t get exposed to air you don’t have to worry about the foul odor
- Beneficial bacteria and vaginal pH is well balanced. Tampons absorb the vaginal fluid along with blood and that can lead to toxic shock syndrome
- It is cost effective, one cup can last up to minimum of 5 years
- It also enables to have intercourse while the cup is up in there
- It is easy to use
Disadvantages of Menstrual Cups:
- The main disadvantage is emptying the cup can be messy, however, with practice it becomes easier
- Insertion can be challenging for beginners
- Finding a perfect fitting cup can be tough
- Removing the cup can also be an issue. Pro tip, instead of pulling the stem, you pinch the base and then pull
Reasons to Shift to Menstrual Cup
- Now you don’t have to spend a lot on your period hygiene
At a reasonable price, the quality of the product is reliable, unbeatable and easy to get the hang of using
- Do whatever you want
Menstrual cup allows women to be more active and free regardless of their cycle
- Best for people with heavy flow
People having heavy flow have to constantly change tampons and pads, this product will leave you worry free for hours
- No inconvenient leaks
With a menstrual cup you can now forget about your periods for 12 hours at a time
- Less Cramps
Menstrual Cups are best for the people suffering from PCOS as it helps with the cramps.
- No more allergies
Tampons and pads can cause terrible allergy to women with sensitive skin. Whereas, menstrual cups are gentle on skin
- Odor free and Active lifestyle
With a menstrual cup on, you can leg press 125 squats with no foul odor and absolutely no leak
If this post has interested you in using a menstrual cup, it is better to have a talk with your gynecologist to figure out the right menstrual cup size for you. Mostly the size depends on your age, length of your cervix, your flow, strength of your pelvic muscles and if you’ve given a vaginal birth. Smaller and medium cups are recommended for beginners, women with heavy flow and for women who are younger than 30 years, whereas, large size is recommended for women who have given birth or are above the age of 30 years.
Mostly, menstrual cup brands sell a smaller or a larger size, colorless and translucent cups. However, several brands are offering colored cups such as pink and purple. Popular brands for menstrual cups are Moon Cup, Keeper Cup, Lunette Cup, Diva Cup, Lily Cup and Lena Cup.